S&A has a robust pipeline of exciting and varied projects across the state of Vermont and the greater New England region. To support this work, we are recruiting for a qualified, full time Permit Specialist with a passion for writing, collaboration, and community to join our growing team of creative, flexible, curious problem-solvers.
The Permit Specialist will provide administrative and communication assistance to Project Managers and staff, in the coordination of the permitting process and the preparation of permit applications. It is expected that the majority of the Specialist’s work will be spent on environmental permitting with the Engineering and Landscape Architecture staff, however, some permitting with the Architectural staff is also likely.
This team member will work collaboratively with other members of project teams, clients, consultants, and contractors to coordinate project tasks to meet deadlines and milestones for the project. The Permit Specialist will be familiar with many aspects of the project. With training and experience, this team member will be responsible for completing permit applications and ensuring all requirements are met for permit applications. The work will be fast paced and will require a motivated and highly organized person who communicates well and has strong writing skills.
- Prepare permit applications and supporting documentation.
- Prepare administrative portions of Act 250 and local zoning permit applications. Coordinate technical responses from design team and integrate into permit application.
- Complete administrative portions of and coordinate technical permits such as Construction General Permit, VTrans 1111, Water and Wastewater Permit, Wetlands, Stream Alternation Permit, Army Corps Permit, and Building Permits.
- Assist Project Managers in coordination of project management activities, resources, equipment, and information.
- Assist in the preparation of project budgets, proposals, and AIA contracts.
- Assist Project Manager in creating and maintaining project schedule.
- Prepare specifications with guidance from design team.
- Assist Project Manager in coordinating project sub-consultants.
- Order, pick up, and deliver drawings, permit applications, responses to RFPs, etc.
- Track and maintain current code books.
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation, plans and reports; maintain organized project files, both digital and hard copies.
Education and Professional Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred (environmental science, biology, engineering management, English, or related field with strong technical skills).
- Minimum of 2 years of proven experience with similar role and responsibilities.
- Project Management program certification is a plus.
- Proficiency in technical writing
- Proficient in MS Office (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Hands-on experience with project management tools.
- Experience using MindView is a plus.
- Design and/or construction background is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, responsive and timely communicator with team members and clients.
- Ability to prepare and interpret flowcharts, schedules, and step-by-step action plans.
- Strong organizational skills, including multitasking and time-management.
- Ability to prioritize and maintain organization in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Personal passion for and commitment to the enduring vitality of historic New England buildings and communities.
- Deep curiosity and creativity, complemented by a drive to solve problems and improve systems and processes.
- Professional demeanor and conduct, exercises good judgment and represents the firm with integrity.
S&A offers a competitive salary commensurate with the level of experience. Our comprehensive benefits package includes a generous employer contribution to health insurance, paid time off (starting at 3 weeks), paid holidays, 401(k) with 3% employer contribution, health savings accounts, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, and the opportunity to work remotely on a part-time basis each week.
If you are looking for long-term career growth, professional responsibility, and meaningful employment within a fun, energetic, and diverse organization that values its people tremendously, we hope you will consider joining our team. Please email your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stevens & Associates is a Veteran-owned company and an equal opportunity employer.